Tuesday, August 21, 2012

PERFECTION

...most of us strive for it.  Some of us get it...

...then what?

Seeking and striving for perfection is commendable.  Really, it is.  I see it all day long, I too tap into my inner perfectionist from time to time.  Heck...I've even dated the ever seeking perfectionist.

That's the thing about perfection. There is NEVER an end result.  You're always striving and striving and striving for the next slice.

For you serial perfectionists out there...have you ever stopped and enjoyed the view?
What does your endless string of perfected quests "do" for you?

I personally get exhausted when I think about myself in "perfectionist" mode.  Most times, I actually feel like I'm moving against a force much like a brick wall.  My brain is speeding 100+ miles a minute...and I'm literally draining myself from every resource possible that I might need to actually get myself to that perfected state.

Sound familiar?

At that drained point, I've learned how to stop and detach...but most keep on going.  I did for a long, long while until I realized I  never had a chance to enjoy my success.  All the forward motion toward the next best thing somehow put blinders on the importance of accomplishing these things in the first place.  Nevermind the light it dimmed as I moved swiftly on...

When you start to open your eyes, you see the view.  When you see the view, a flow starts to seep into your movement.  All of a sudden, you recognize that force...that brick wall...much more quickly.  It somehow feels, un-natural.  The nature of perfection IS unnatural.  If we were all perfect, this world would be DAMN boring!  We'd all be glamorous and successful, and my guess, we'd all be striving to be imperfect!  Idiosyncrasies are what make the world go 'round!  The ways we go about our work, organization, quirky personalities, organized chaos hidden within the depths of closets/basements/attics....it's all what makes us unique.

I'll never say slow down to the ever striving perfectionist.  I will say, eliminate.  Take all those thoughts running through your head, and the motions you go through at each turn....and assess where they're REALLY adding value.  Replace it with something fun, and more individual to you.

Through perfection, perfect your SELF!

No comments:

Post a Comment